EWM awards a few grants each year for women mathematicians that are EWM members and are at an early stage of their career or work in a developing country. The grants are meant to (co-)fund travel and/or accommodation for participating and giving a talk at a significant conference in their field.
For this round, we will give out several EWM travel grants, up to 600 EUR each, of which 400 maximum for travel expenses of the applicant and 200 euros maximum as a supplementary contribution for caring costs (including the expenses of an accompanying person). Applicants can apply either for the 200 euros caring grant, or for the 400 euros travel grant or for both of them.
Applications for travel grants are evaluated by a committee twice a year, and should be submitted by the following deadlines:
June 1st and December 1st.
Travel grants applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence (quality of the CV, publications), normalized in proportion to academic age.
- Quality of the project (motivation, relevance of the conference).
- Possibility of access to other funds. In case of equal scientific quality of CV and proposal, priority will be given to applicants who have a greater and well-motivated difficulty in accessing other forms of support (e.g. because they work in disadvantaged countries, are at an early stage of their career, or have little flexibility in the use of funds).
The applicant should submit to firstname.lastname@example.org the following:
- a CV
- a short letter from the PhD advisor (in case of PhD students) or of the applicant (in case of PhD holders) describing the relevance of participating at that event and explaining how the money would be used, and why it is needed.
- a presentation abstract, names and institutional affiliations of co-authors and an estimate of the expenses for which the application is made.
Grant holders will be expected to represent the EWM when participating in the meeting for which the funding was applied for. In particular, the EWM logo should be added to talks and posters that the successful applicant presents.
Information for travel grant holders regarding expenses claims can be found here.