EWM in Slovakia, 2018-2020
- about 30% of active mathematicians working at the Mathematical Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences are female (12 women)
- about 40% of mathematicians working as university lecturers at 10 universities in Slovakia are female (about 200 women)
- about 42% of leading positions in the boards of 2 existing Slovak professional mathematical societies (with about 160 members) are female – 14
Union of Slovak Mathematicians and Physicists – 6M + 5F
Slovak Mathematical Society – 13M + 9F
Currently, there are no special committees or members of steering committees within any from above 2 professional organisations that would be responsible for promoting women in mathematics, nor does the agenda exist related to these issues.
Non-profit professional scientific organisation Slovak Society for Geometry and Graphics aimed to stimulate scientific development in the field of geometry and computer graphics, to support young scientists in these disciplines, and to enhance the quality of geometry education at all levels has about 35 members, while 25 of them are women. This society organized under its own costs several special events for women in mathematics:
- May 12 initiative, Meeting of Slovak Women in Maths, Presentation about Maryam Mirzakhani life scientific work, and presentations of Slovak women in mathematics about their professional scientific careers, 05/10/2019 – 10:00 – 14:00, Institute of Mathematics and Physics, the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
- Seminar Women in Geometry and Geometric Modelling, a joint event with International Symposium on Geometry and Graphics, September 9-12, 2019, Trenčianske Teplice, Slovakia. An informal meeting of participating women mathematicians was held, where information about EWM organisation and its activities was presented and the possibility of individual membership was promoted.
- EWM national meeting in Slovakia, Institute of Mathematics and Physics, Institute of Mathematics and Physics, the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava, 10/15/ 2019.
- Special session on the position of women in mathematics was held during the international conference Aplimat 2020, 5.–7.2.2020 at the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava.
- Careers of Slovak Women in Maths, Activity within the May 12 initiative, on-line meeting and discussion, 05/12/2020 – 12:00 – 14:00
As EWM national coordinator for Slovakia, I keep informed all women mathematicians who articulated interest to receive information about EWM and its activities. I have invited them to participate at our national meeting that will be held at the Institute of Mathematics and Physics, the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava, in October 2020. Here I plan to inform you about the results of the EWM General Assembly held as an on-line meeting on July 6, 2020. I will suggest the possible establishment of a Slovak Group of Women in Mathematics – an official body dealing with gender issues, hidden forms of invisible discrimination. In the meantime, we will try to encourage more women mathematicians to attend this event. During the seminar, we will discuss possibilities and ideas on how to continue in order to promote better gender awareness in Slovak mathematical community remaining reluctant towards various gender problems in STEM. We will also collect the membership fee for the year 2020 and use it for local organizational purposes.
In Bratislava, June 23, 2020