Open Source Development – Graduate Internship at G-Research
Open Source Development – Graduate Internship
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
G-Research’s open-source team contributes to a variety of exciting public projects and are now turning our focus to Apache Ozone. We are seeking an intern to join the team ASAP until the end of 2021 to help support this work. We intend to help bring the Ozone project up to a level of maturity where G-Research can rely on it for its production needs.
The incoming intern will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and learn first-hand from leading open-source contributors.
Some of the work we anticipate you getting involved with includes:
- Performance parity (and improvement) with HDFS
- Advanced block placement
- Rebalancing data across nodes/disks
- Efficient cross-DC replication
For more information on Ozone, the key starting points are:
Since this work is for our open source program, all of our contributions are by definition public and open source. You get to contribute to a meaningful technology that many other companies use all while improving your own public profile.
G-Research itself is an exciting company to work for with difficult problems to solve. While this particular role focuses on one key aspect of our architecture, it relates to an ecosystem that is focused on all of the latest tools and current approaches in data science and machine learning.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be a strong, competent and practical software engineer. They should be enthusiastic and have a genuine interest in both software technology and the underlying hardware.
They should also:
- Have excellent academics – candidates should be studying towards a 2:1 or above in Computer Science or Computer Science with Mathematics from a top tier university
- Have excellent technical communication and problem-solving skills
- Be comfortable with Kafka, Raft protocols and consensus algorithms
- Be interested in distributed systems
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
Before applying please note that this role is looking for someone who can start ASAP and work until the end of the year. This role will not be suitable for someone expected at University from September.
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.
More details can be found here.