BMS PhD program – Get your Math PhD in Berlin
The Berlin Mathematical School is the graduate school of the Cluster of Excellence MATH+ (http://www.mathplus.de) and a joint endeavor of the mathematics departments at the universities in Berlin: Freie Universität (FU), Humboldt-Universität (HU) and Technische Universität (TU).
We offer an excellent doctoral program taught in English in a broad and active research environment together with mentoring programs, language courses, soft-skills seminars, funding for summer schools and conferences, a buddy program and funding for students with children.
“Mathematics as a whole“ is a leading principle of the BMS. Its focus encompasses fields that are traditionally termed “pure“ or “applied“ mathematics, though we prefer not to make that distinction. Instead, research topics are grouped into eight parts, each covering a broad, but coherent, part of mathematics:
1. Differential geometry, global analysis, and mathematical physics
2. Algebraic and arithmetic geometry, number theory
3. Stochastics and mathematical finance
4. Discrete mathematics and optimization
5. Geometry, topology, and visualization
6. Numerical analysis and scientific computing
7. Applied analysis and differential equations
8. Mathematics of data science
For applicants with a Bachelor, Phase I offers a basic graduate phase of 3-4 semesters completed by a qualifying exam. Phase II is the research phase and open to candidates with a Master‘s degree. It lasts 4-6 semesters in which candidates conduct specialized research and attend at least one advanced course per semester.
All you need to know about applying to the BMS is available online:
You can apply at: http://www.math-berlin.de/application
The first round application deadline of 1 December 2022 is for
– Phase I applicants requiring admission with scholarship
– Phase II who want to start before August 2023.
The second round application deadline of 1 April 2023 is for
– Phase I applicants requiring admission only
– Phase II applicants who want to start in August, September or October 2023.