INDAM Meeting of European Women in Mathematics: the 17th EWM General Meeting
Venue and dates: Il Palazzone in Cortona (Italy). Arrival day is sunday, august 30. The conference will start monday August 31 at 9 am and end friday September 4 at 1 pm.
Registration is closed. Confirmed participants
There is no registration fee. A solidarity fee is recommended for participants holding a research grant, in the form of a donation to EWM. To make your payment, please go to the PAYMENT PAGE.
The General Meetings of EWM are held every two years in different locations, with outstanding international speakers and a short course by the designated EMS lecturer. In addition to giving prominence to female mathematics of excellence in Europe, they are aimed at providing greater visibility to young European Mathematicians giving them an opportunity to emerge at the international level.
Scientific Program. The program will include:
- a mini-course with three lectures by the invited 2015 EMS lecturer Nicole Tomczak-Jaegermann (Geometric Functional Analysis, Alberta, Canada Research Chair);
six general one hour talks by distinguished invited lecturers selected by the joint EMS/EWM scientific committee, namely:
- Sylvie Corteel (Combinatorics, CNRS Paris7, France)
- Kathryn Hess (Algebraic topology, EPFL Switzerland)
- Olga Holtz (Numerical analysis, EMS prize, Berkely USA)
- Alessandra Iozzi (Geometry, ETH Zurich)
- Consuelo Martinez (Algebra, Univ. Olviedo, Spain)
- Barbara Niethammer (Applied Mathematics and PDE’s, Bonn Germany).
- four thematic special sessions including (1) Applied Algebraic Topology (chaired by Lisbeth Fajstrup, (2) Dynamical Aspects of Number Theory (chaired by Sara Munday), (3) Mathematical Physics (chaired by Alessandra Celletti) and (4) Nonlinear PDE’s (chaired by Angela Pistoia and Susanna Terracini). The special session will also include talks by INDAM postdocs;
- contributed talks by young researchers, also including talks by INDAM postdocs;
- a poster session.
In addition, the program includes
- the EWM general Assembly
- a public discussion on Women and Excellence Schemes, with together with Jean-Pierre Bourguignon (president of the ERC), Elisabetta Strickland (vice President of INdAM), Rossella Palomba (CNR).
- a public talk by Elisabetta Strickland on The impact of women on the development of mathematical thought (abstract)
Scientific Committee. It is the joint EMS/EWM Scientific Committee, composed by the following prominent mathematicians:
- Christine Bessenrodt (Hannover, Germany)
- Alessandra Celletti (Rome, Italy)
- Cornelia Drutu (Oxford, UK, Chair)
- Sara van de Geer (Zürich, Switzerland)
- Antonella Grassi (U Penn, USA)
- Ursula Hamenstaedt (Bonn, Germany)
- Svetlana Jitomirskaya (UCI, USA)
- Dusa McDuff (Stony Brook, USA)
- Ragni Piene (Oslo, Norway)
- Sylvia Serfaty (Paris, France)
- Agata Smoktunowicz (Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Ulrike Tillmann (Oxford, UK)
- Alessandra Celletti, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy
- Lisbeth Fajstrup, Aalborg University, Denmark
- Colette Guillopé, University de Paris Créteil, France
- Angela Pistoia, University of Rome, Italy
- Marie-Françoise Roy, University of Rennes, France
- chair : Susanna Terracini, Università di Torino, Italy.
Sponsors. Istututo Italiano di Alta Matematica (INdAM); Europeand Women in Mathematics (EWM); Compositio Mathematica Foundation; ERC Advanced Grant 2013 Complex Patterns for Strongly Interacting Dynamical Systems - COMPAT; Dipartimento di Matematica dell'Università di Tor Vergata; Comitato Pari Opportunità dell' Università La Sapienza di Roma.